[iyonix-support] Coloured snow

  • From: John <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:12:54 +0100

On 29 May, Harriet Bazley <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 as I do recall,
>           Harriet Bazley wrote:

> > My Iyonix Aria keeps starting up locked with a screen full of coloured
> > 'snow' (similar to the effect produced by poking screen memory with
> > random data on the BBC B).   When it does this, no amount of pushing of
> > the reset button will produce a working desktop, although sometimes it
> > produces black-and-white stripes instead after the reset - the only way
> > to get the machine to work is to switch it off at the plug.
> >
> Anyone else seeing this?   I assume it's the 5.13 equivalent of the old
> 'graphics card detection' problems....

It couldn't be the graphics card failing, I suppose? This sounds a bit like
the first symptoms on mine when the fan stopped running and the card
overheated, knocking out part of the memory on the card.

One downside of having such a quiet machine - you don't hear when a quiet
noise stops!

Just an idea,
John

--