[iyonix-support] Re: 4 IDE drives: Success

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:37:46 +0100

In message <2454199.1858118-tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart) wrote:

> On Sat  7 Apr 2007 (23:04:23 +0100), Dave Lane wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >All 4 drives now work after power on, with the following arrangement.
> >
> >        IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
> >     Master            Slave            Master            Slave
> >
> >   Main Hard Drive     DVDRW           Second HD          CDRW
> >
> >For the record:
> >
> >The main HD and the CDRW are the original ones fitted by Castle  (first
> >batch of Iyonix PCs in 2002), the second HD is a Maxtor  Diamond Plus 9
> >80GB ATA/133 and the DVDRW is a LITEON SOHW-1693S23C.
> >
> >Perhaps this will be of help to others contemplating having these
> >drives.
> >
> >Also, it is easier to fit the cables round each other if at least  one
> >of them is a round cable (as opposed to a flat ribbon cable).
>
> I'm planning to fit a second HD, but don't have a DVDRW.
>
> Should I fit it like this...
>
>         IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
>      Master            Slave            Master            Slave
>
>    Main Hard Drive                     Second HD          CDRW
>
> or this?
>
>         IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
>      Master            Slave            Master            Slave
>
>    Main Hard Drive      CDRW           Second HD
>

> Tennant Stuart

Before I added the DVDRW drive, I had the second of the two
arrangements above, which worked satisfactorily. As far as I can
see both the above arrangements should work.

Dave Lane

--
The shattered tower which now forms Vista from his Windows.  --Sir W. Scott.
[1913 Webster] -- a prophet for our time?