[isapros] OT:Network Porblems

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <gmulholland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 07:54:02 +1000

OK i need some eyes on this one and since jim asked an exchange question ill take a stab.

Previously the client had a 2mb Internet link with ye olde cisco router, two vlans. Two weeks ago they upgraded to a 4mb link with a brand spanker of a new cisco router, same 2 vlans. The cabling system was all the same basically i had to do was pull the cables out from the old router and stick them into the new router, reconfigure the dhcp scopes and any static devies on the networks and all is good. Well vlan1 has worked a treat since, which brings me to vlan2.

The client reported "no internet access" a while ago after a bit of trouble shooting and a cut to the chase the guys who manage the router (externally) tell me they are seeing 3-6 million input errors on vlan2's interface log. Rebooting the single switch attached to vlan2 fixes the problem as it resets the int but the errors will start occuring shortly after and eventually flood the interface and it drops again.

OK so they tell me that its something on the vlan2 network thats causing it, i on the phone with the router guy one by one shutdown each device then unplug each cable from the switch then turn everything back on one by one, hoping he will say "ahh there it is what did you just turn on". Mind you i thought it is a long shot that one pc could genearate that much traffic. Anyhow i borrowed another switch of the same model and plugged that in for two days, same problem, i tried a different make swicth, same problem, we replaced the cables between the rooms as they are separated by some 40 mtrs, all the small patach cables, cables on the router, had them out the other day to reconfigure the interface and replace the four port module, still the same!!!!!!! Last night we turned everything off bar the switch with the link cable to the router plugged in and the router itself and its still the same. we have ordered a brand new switch which every network gets given with this setup, all configured to their specs in the hope that maybe one day someone screwed with ours and didnt document it. If that doesnt fix it im lost. Has anyone got any more ideas.

My guts feeling is somethig the router guy told me the other day in that he had to force the router to 100half because that what the swicth was telling him it had, yet the swicth was all autosensing. I keep thinking that its a speed mismatch which can cause the links to drop. They reckon its not but i have my doubts

If anyone has got any ideas, stupid or otherwise im all ears.

Thanks Heaps
Greg

p.s the pcs have been scanned for viruses and spyware before i got to this stage.