RE: Very slow internet browsing

  • From: "Eddie Kwong" <eddiek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:07:03 -0500

I have similar experience and my ISP is AT&T.  As it turns out, it was them
playing through put control games that cause my problem.

In my case, I was lucky because I was trying to upgrade from a smaller through
put pipe to a larger but cheaper through put (Claimed by AT&T anyway!!!) and I
still have my lower through put DSL pipe working so I can use simple test like
ping -t www.yahoo.com on both pipes to demo to the AT&T Technical support that
the so call larger through put pipe has way way higher response time (a
difference between ~60 ms to ~400ms!!)  there are uplink and down link
configuration for DSL on the ISP side to influence your Internet access
performance. After working with them for about 2 weeks time every single day,
they finally manage to configure their end to the point that I have the
performance I used to have.  (Not so sure whether you have VPN setup for remote
access.  In my case, a reasonable large number of VPN session can also drag
down the performance.)

I am not saying that you do not need to look at your own setup.  Just want you
to know that your ISP can be the surprise surprise for you!

Eddie