Re: Very OT. How can I find out where an email really came from?

  • From: "PETER PAPE" <papexpjboi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:17:59 -0600

You will want to check the headers for routing information.  It will indicate
which SMTP server or servers the message passed through to get to you.  Most
likely, what you'll find is that these messages are coming through an open
relay server on the internet.  So you may not know who originated the message,
just who left the mail server open to relay messages.