VPN ISA 2000 vs ISA 2004 with 2000 and XP clients

  • From: "Don McCall" <DMcCall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List] \(E-mail\)" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:57:13 +1100

Hi Everyone,

Sure trust that the new year is treating you all well...

Has any one else experienced this phenomena:

I have two ISA's one a 2000 and one a 2004. Their configuration is as similar
as they can be. We use them both as VPN gateways (PPTP).

When an XP client connects to the 2004 the connection goes through very quickly
and gives a good response for all internal connections. When a W2K client
attempts connection it will connect, however it takes considerably longer and
internal connections also take considerably longer.

When an XP client connects with the ISA 2000 it runs very slow and internal
connections also run slow, conversely when a W2K box connects to the ISA 2000
it runs like a rocket. It is as quick as or quicker than the XP on the ISA 2004.

This test has been run from three different sites back to HQ with the same
results in each location. (DSL links of various flavours)

I was intending to convert both ISA's to 2004 however as we are largely a WK2
shop with less than 0.5% XP clients the results are of some concern.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone concerning this. I am about to bag
the ISA 2004 unless this can be resolved. I must stress it is not that the
connection does not work it is just that the performance is woeful.

Regards

Don McCall
Infrastructure Manager
Baptist Community Services
O: 02 9023 2602
M: 0403082854
F: 02 9023 2502
Email dmccall@xxxxxxxxxx
This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
and are not necessarily the views of Baptist Community Services. 3