UNKNOWN SMTP ERROR Alert

  • From: "Carlos Guevara" <cguevara@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:04:10 -0700

I have ISA Server 2000 (standard) running on a W2K box in an AD domain
with EXCHANGE 2000 running behind it.  I used the Mail Wizard for ISA to
publish the Exchange server so that it can receive e-mail from the outside
world.  Later on I enabled many of the ALERTS that come with ISA.  I
consistently received UNKNOWN SMTP ERROR alerts from ISA stating that
commands like XEXCH50 984 and X-LINK2STATE DROP are UNKNOWN.  I've noticed
that these messages come from OTHER Exchange 2000 servers.  Users on those
other X2K servers over the INTERNET cannot send to MY exchange server
behind ISA.  I also noticed that many of those same servers (if not all)
cannot send to other known ISA protected sites, including MICROSOFT.COM.

I've contacted some of the other administrators, and they have created
SMTP connectors for sites like mine and MSFTs where they ask EXCHANGE 2000
to NOT SEND EHLO but HELO instead.  Unfortunatelly It is impossible to
contact ALL THE ADMINISTRATORs.

I haven't tried to DISSABLE the SMTP filter (my boss would kill me,
because we are filtering a lot of attachments). I was wondering if there
is somewhere documentation on how to ENABLE this commands on the SMTP
filter (Command and length information is needed in the FILTER).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.