RE: Tutorials on DynDNS client on ISA Server 2004?

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:48:40 -0400

Hello Tony,

Here's what I did to make this work.

1.  I created a new URL set (I called it IP address detection sites) and I
added http://checkip.dyndns.org  to the set.

2.  I edited the system policy for my ISA server. (Right click on Firewall
Policy Node and select Edit System Policy from the context menu).

3. Select Various -> allowed sites (last selection in the configuration
groups list)

4. Select the To tab and add the URL set that you configured in step one.

5. Apply your changes.

steps above allow the client to connect to the checkup site in order to
detect your external IP address.

Please note: These steps may not be necessary of your ISA server is directly
connected to you Broadband Modem.  I connect to by broadband through a NAT
router in order to fix the external address of my ISA server. The NAT box
which has a simple packet filter:  A. Cuts down on traffic that my ISA server
has to deal with. B. Allows the ISA server to have a fixed address.

Because of this setup I need to detect the address from an outside source (or
write my own update client that detects the routers external IP and I didn't
feel like doing that) again if your external interface on your ISA server is
directly connected you may be able to detect you IP address directly from the
network interface.

Bill