[isalist] Troubleshooting GMail POP connection

  • From: "Rob Moore" <RMoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:21:16 -0400

ISA Server 2006 Standard

I have a few users on my network that use Gmail and connect to it using
POP. Incoming mail is not a problem. But outgoing isn't working.
Outbound traffic goes on POP3S port 995 (allowed) and a special HTTPS
port 587 (also allowed). When I try it while monitoring my IP address
and try to send mail, I can see both of those kinds of traffic and ISA
allows them. But the mail never goes out. If I connect this same
computer to another network with no ISA server, the mail goes out just
fine.

The console shows no errors, just "Initiated Connection" and "Closed
Connection." But if I copy the results from the Closed Connection to the
clipboard, here's what they say:
Original Client IP      Client Agent    Authenticated Client    Service
Server Name     Referring Server        Destination Host Name
Transport       MIME Type       Object Source   Source Proxy
Destination Proxy       Bidirectional   Client Host Name        Filter
Information     Network Interface       Raw IP Header   Raw Payload
GMT Log Time    Source Port     Processing Time Bytes Sent      Bytes
Received        Result Code     HTTP Status Code        Cache
Information     Log Record Type Authentication Server   Log Time
Destination IP  Destination Port        Protocol        Action  Rule
Client IP       Client Username Source Network  Destination Network
HTTP Method     URL     Error Information
172.17.201.173                          PHL-ISA3        -
TCP     -                                               -
3/13/2008 5:05:18 PM    50238   1125    1242    1817    0x80074e21
FWX_E_ABORTIVE_SHUTDOWN         0x0     Firewall        -
3/13/2008 1:05:18 PM    64.233.171.109  995     POP3S   Closed
Connection      Internal Access to Internet     172.17.201.173
Internal        External        -       -       0x0

That one line looks bothersome, "0x80074e21 FWX_E_ABORTIVE_SHUTDOWN".
What does that mean? I Googled it and got results, but nothing directly
related.

Any idea what might be happening? How to fix it?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Moore
Network Manager