Re: Strange problem. SBS2003 and ISA 2000 - Microsoft.com and Symantec.com cannot be reached

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:50:33 -0800

That error is a name lookup that fails.
Specifically, it relates to non-host (A) records that usually require further
queries to obtain an IP (MX, CName, etc.).

What that error means is that DNS failed to produce an IP address for the CName
record during that query.

Try restarting the web proxy service to see if that helps.  It's been known to
"lose its mind" when dealing with multi-level lookups, but it's really hard to
reproduce in the lab...

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:16:16 +1000
 "Paul Aitchison" <pdaitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi all,

Did an install of SBS2003 with ISA 2000 SP1 yesterday and have noticed a
rather odd problem.

Everything is working perfectly *except* www.symantec.com and
www.microsoft.com are not reachable. Initially I thought a virus was
blocking access perhaps, but 2 full scans with the latest SAV defs and
pass overs with various removal tools failed to find anything.

ISA returns a 11004 - Host not found error. However I can nslookup both
DNS names without a problem from workstations and the server. Trying to
access them via IP fails. The DNS forwarders are setup correctly for my
ISP.

I'm stumped. ISA logs show the web proxy tries to contact the site but
that's all it gets.

Any ideas before I rebuild the server from scratch?

Cheers

Paul