[isalist] Re: Serious Problems Now

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:01:47 -0500

Hi Ray,

You need to remember that 99.987587% of the time, its not an ISA
firewall problem, its something else. While its common to make the ISA
firewall the 'sin eater' for everyone elses' problems, it just ain't the
case.

That's way you need to do some troubleshooting to figure out what's
going on. I have the same problems with network connectivity from time
to time, but I don't start with the ISA firewall, I start with the
problem. Then I use tools like:

* nslookup (in interactive mode)
* ping
* pathping
* tracert with and without -d switch
* ISA firewall logs
* Network Monitor (or any other packet tracer)
* ISA Alerts
* Event Viewer
* ISA firewall BPA
* Telnet

First step is to try to replicate the problem. Then check the ISA
firewall logs to see what they report regarding the problem. Make sure
you're logging for all fields in the Web proxy and Firewall logs

If the ISA firewall logs show that the ISA firewall isn't blocking the
connection, then you need to figure out where in the request/response
path the connections are being blocked.

Is it a name resolution problem?
Is it a black hole router?
Is is a router loop somewhere in the path?
Is it a link failure at the ISP?
Is it a link failure of your CPE?
Is a bad switch or switch port?
Is it a bad internal router?
Is it a hardware problem on the ISA firewall device?
Is it a bad cable to a network switch, router or ISA firewall?
Is it network at 100% network utilization problem? (and if so, why?
Worms? Warez?)
Is it a problem with the ISP's Web proxy (if they're using one)
Is it a link failure for a major provider (akamai, etc)?
Is it client problem?
Is it an authentication problem?
Is it a Group Policy problem?

That's just a short list of things to consider before considering a
problem with the ISA firewall software/configuration. Its one thing if
something never worked, but when things have worked fine before, and
then they stop working,

BTW -- what's "winproxy" is it this? http://www.winproxy.com/

HTH,
Tom