Security of publishing Exchange 2000

  • From: "Steve Bostedor" <Steveb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:35:40 -0400

        We have many users who would like to be able to get their Exchange
email from their unprotected home computers.  I see a lot of posts here about
publishing Exchange to the Internet.  How secure is that?  Is it really safe to
publish your Exchange RPC to the Internet?
        I'm a bit reluctant to let them connect their unprotected home
computers to our LAN via VPN or dial-up in these days of rampant Internet worms
and Trojans.  We have been using www.gotomypc.com for the few that needed
remote access from unsecured computers, but that would be expensive on the
scale that is on the horizon here.
        I have also considered publishing a Windows 2000 terminal server and
controlling access by the Windows 2000 "Log In Locally" policy.  What do you
guys think about the security aspect of these issues?

Thanks,
Steve