RE: Security hole at boot

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 10:57:39 -0800

I wouldn't mess with the services start codes; those directly relate to how
the services start up (automatic, manual, disabled).  changing that data
will have very unpredictable effects.
As far as dependencies, ISA still depends on the bas TCP/IP services; that's
why the dependencies exist as they do.
The thing to bear in mind here, is that until Windows is finished its
startup, no services are answering even if the TCP/IP ports are showing
"active".
Those are two different issues.
If you can actually obtain more data than OS fingerprinting, I'd love to
know what you get.  That would certainly be something to pass on to the ISA
and/or Windows teams.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/