Re: Secure Your Server Wizard - Question to Jim Harrison

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:17:46 -0800

Hi Gary,

I used the term "(don't)" because the vast majority of folks don't have a
full understanding of what each security wizard does to the system.
I wouldn't even be the one to say "I know that it will do to your system"
because it depends on too many other factors.
I could discuss what each setting in each .inf file accomplishes, but what
that means to your system may be something entirely different to mine.
The ISA team had good intentions and the right idea; make it easy to apply
an appropriate security template to a server that protects your network.
Unfortunately, many folks using wizards neither have nor want detailed
knowledge of what the wizard accomplishes while they're using it.
That's a dangerous mixture where security templates are concerned, as many
have discovered.
The ISA MMC might have popped up a "You better know exactly what applying
"XXX.inf" to your system will do before agreeing to this action." message,
but that's more oversight that malicious intent.  Remember; this product is
aimed squarely at the LORG - Enterprise market.  The folks in that arena
generally study and play with a new technology for an extended time before
putting it into production.
It's "available" to the SORG-MORG market because it's a totally kewl
product, but you can't target that broad a market spectrum without
dissatisfying someone.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/