Re: Second Nic won't enable to allow ISA to be configuired for 2 Nic's

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:40:19 -0700

What OS?
One of the "features" in Win2K (haven't tested it on W2K3) is that if you
replace a bound NIC without unbinding it, the system maintains that IP
associated with that (now removed) card.
When you try to bind that IP to another card, you get  "IP conflict" where
there really is none.
Try this:
1 - reinsert the original card.
2 - using Device Mangler, uninstall that card
3 - shut down and remove the card
4 - insert the new card
5 - fire it up and cofigure it.

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:05:21 -0600
 "Keith" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

We are running a Gigabit Nic which is nic #2 on the intel server board as
the LAN interface bound to the Active directory(AD). When enabling nic #1
you get an IP conflict immediately and the whole network dies. We tried
disabling this Nic and installing a seperate network card, but the moment
we do this the AD is no longer bound to our gigabit card and we can't
re-install ISA. Is there any way around this? Our ISA appears to be
working fine through a single NIC as we already have another firewall
seperating our public and private networks. We just receive an error in
the event log moaning about us just having one NIC. If it is OK for us to
leave it on a single nic, is there a way for us to seperate our exchange
requests from the browsing ones within ISA? The reason for this is the
client has applied for ADSL for browsing and wants to keep their Diginet
Line for mail. We want to continue using the ISA web-proxy and not go the
direct Gateway route for the ADSL as we have just installed GFI download
security to help control browsing abuse. Could you please help? Thanks