SMTP Filter seem to block incoming mail from some ESMTP mail ser vers

  • From: Don Blackshear <don.blackshear@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:33:34 -0700

I recently published our Mail Server (Exchange 5.5) using the wizard.
Under ACCESS POLICIES,  the only protocol selected is SMTP and I believe
that is all we currently need since remote clients use VPN - no OWA.

Under EXTENSIONS, the SMTP filter was enabled, but we received INVALID SMTP
COMMAND errors and a business partner with a linux Communicate-Pro Email
Server (ESMTP) could not send us mail.

I turned the filter off, and all is fine, but this seems like a bad thing to
have to do.  Per MS event id support, I should probably add to the filter's
List the missing ESMTP command and its max. length, but I do not know how to
find out the offending command (or info on max lengths).

I cannot even find a list of the commands and their max lengths that should
be included in this filter (for SMTP/ESMTP).
Nothing in my ISA Server 2000 book and can't find a how-to anywhere

Would appreciate a helping hand - until then filter will have to remain
disabled

Thanks

Don Blackshear