SBS and smtp service using Exchange

  • From: "Peter Forster" <pforster@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:12:12 -0700

Hi yes I appreciate that the SMTP service had to be running on Exchange.
With SBS the Exchange and ISA are on the same box, a perimeter box.
This makes me vulnerable with being able to telnet to this box on port
25, even though my telnet service is not started.
I imagine the most secure is to have the ISA box on the perimeter, then
publish to an internal server. I have this working successfully on
another site.
That ISA box does not have the SMTP service running it publishes to the
internal server that is a SecureNAT client. If I was to start the SMTP
service on that box I would get a relay problem happening. Got to love
this stuff.. I do!
Thanks,
Peter