RE: RES: RE: Spooky filter problem! Tom?

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <m.hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:28:08 +0100

I did not follow the thread completely here. One thing that is to be said is
that Jim's right about the variable/dynamically assigned ports, that would
never function. But if I understood you right, there is only one (server)
port users can connect to, much like running a http server, right?

In this case you would have to make shure that your appplication only binds
to the internal interface. Further you would have to use server publishing
to make the port available on the external interface. And you may have to
define a packet filter to allow traffic to your internal interface - but I'm
not too shure about this last point. I understand that this is a must when
the "server" to be published runs on the ISA box, but maybe Tom can help out
here.

You'd have to change service dependencies only if your application does not
support binding to a specific NIC. This way I got the Shoutcast server to
run - but you may experience other problems on a higher level. E.g. if the
protocol that is being used carries connection information like IP adresses
and the like for further communication (in the way FTP does), every attempt
will fail because ISA will not be able to translate this. Well, you could
write your own application filter however :)

Hope I could help
Mark