RE: RES: RE: ISA in DMZ

  • From: Troy Radtke <TRadtke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:13:27 -0600

Well, and you're about to hear me say it again:

Strength in diversity.
Strength in layers.
Strength in redundancy.
Best tool for the job.

Personally, I feel nice and protected at home with my PIX and my ISA.  My
PIX is in front bouncing packets that have no business coming into my
network on ports I don't want coming in at all.  ISA is looking at the
conversations and payloads to make sure something isn't ridding on top of
something else.  Hardware is faster at mass checking.  Software is easier to
use and understand.  I'd rather not try to write 500 to 600 ACL's for my PIX
if I don't have to.

Of course, you could just use the AK47 for everything, but I prefer a
paintball gun when I'm out in the woods with my friends....  At close range
it's gotta hurt a hell of a lot more to get hit with a paintball than
getting shot with a bullet.(especially when they are frozen...)  If you
don't believe me, shoot yourself in the arm sometime with a paintball gun if
you have a few days where you don't want to be able to lift anything......
And it leaves a wicked-large bruise the size of a smaller dinner plate
that'll make you cry if something brushes against it..... Just make sure you
wear a mask so you don't get paint splatter in your eyes... =?)