Questions about "Allowing External Connections to the ISA Server Outgoing Web Requests Listener"

  • From: "Marc A. Mapplebeck" <MMapplebeck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:55:28 -0400

Hi list;

I just got finished reading Tom's excellent article on "Allowing External
Connections to the ISA Server Outgoing Web Requests Listener" and have a few
questions. First of all, some reasoning as to why I was looking at doing it,
other than helping my hacker friends use my proxy :P, I am always looking to
make my life as an admin. easier, and part of that is using some products to
help me out, namely GFI WebMonitor 3.0, esp. with it's new web based
management. I first tried to publish the URL, but realised that where it was
acting as a proxy extension, I could not just publish the URL, however after
looking around, I have figured out that I can publish the proxy service, and
do the same as we do internally, in reverse, add internal websites to the
bypass so they access the site directly, effectively bypassing the outbound
proxy, but going to the inbound proxy(broken anyone's brains yet?). My main
questions are, will this work, are there any possible problems from this?
And can I use a similar procedure to this for ISA 2k4? Any
warnings/suggestions? Once I try this, I will post my documentation for all
to see/ridicule. Thanks - Marc