Questions Regarding Network Growth

  • From: "Clark, Nick" <nickc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:59:23 -0500

Growth at our firm is spurring some questions that some of you may be able to
help me answer.  It's a result of us supplying more public services now for our
employees than we did when I got here.  Not having a broad background in this I
wanted to ask for some insight on how to handle these services on our network.
We've got two ISA2000 servers (one on Win2k and the other on Win2k3).  On the
Win2k3 server, ISA is walling POP3 & SMTP for a single Exchange 2003.  The other
ISA/Win2k box is walling for HTTP/HTTPS for our IIS server.  I'd like to
consolidate these two servers into one single ISA2004 box but wanted to get some
feedback on what might be my possible limitations in regards to how much is too
much for one single ISA box to host.  Also, is there ever a worry on how many
services an ISA box is running?  Can one service become an exploit for another?

Thank You,

Nicholas Clark
Kerber, Eck & Braeckel LLP
Springfield, IL 62701-1268