Re: Proxy vs. Firewall routing - More of a DNS question

  • From: "William Robertson" <william.robertson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:43:20 +0200

Hi Jim

I am busy reading your article as mentioned below, but it is prompting
some questions about DNS and I was hoping you could answer.

You say:
"The point to bear in mind is that if ISA is resolving names for the
client, the DNS entries and their order in the Windows TCP/IP settings
on the ISA server will determine how ISA will respond."

So my question is this:
Is it better to point my ISA Server to make use of my Internal DNS
Servers (which are setup to use my ISP's DNS servers as DNS Forwarders)
or should I point my ISA Server directly to the ISP's DNS Servers in
order to save time?

Why I ask this is because ever since I have moved to ISA Server as my
Firewall, my Win2K DNS Servers seem to "lose it" every now and then. I
have to perform the following actions at least once a week to correct
the problem:
1) net stop dns
2) ipconfig /flushdns
3) net start dns

Is it possible that my Win2K DNS Servers and ISA get into some sort of
twist and thus decide DNS traffic is no longer permitted?

Also, is it standard practice to only allow my DNS Servers access to the
"DNS Query" and "DNS Zone Transfer" protocols, or should I be allowing
the ISA Server, and possibly even my client workstations, access to
these protocols as well?

Cheers
William R.