RE: OT:Mac OS X hacked in less than 30 minutes | Tech News on ZDNet

  • From: "Young, Gerald G" <Gerald.Young@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:49:49 -0600

Does this mean you know of unpublished vulnerabilities and exploits for account
privilege elevation on Windows-based systems?  If you do, care to share?  *8^)

To me that's the real story here.  The incident might be a lame excuse for
attention but if unpublished vulnerabilities and exploits exist out there that
are readily available, that should require some attention, I think.

Just my $.02.  *8^)

I do recall that Brett Hill did the same kind of challenge for an IIS 5.0 box
that had been locked down using just Microsoft technology (patches, IPSEC
Filters, IIS Lockdown, and URLScan).  I don't think his server was ever hacked.
 Granted, I don't believe he handed out local accounts or gave shell access to
any users.

Is there another report that confirms this was an account privilege elevation
attack?  I didn't see anything in this report that said SSH accounts were given
to would-be hackers and now I'm curious as to the scope of the vulnerability.
It's one thing to have a server compromised while knowing a user account and
password on the box.  It's another to be able to get a remote server to tell
you what they are.

Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II
  MCSE (4.0/W2K)