New feature in Exchange SP2

  • From: "Peter J. Persing" <Peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:24:56 -0700

Hi Tom,

100 years ago (or so it seems), I discussed the implementation of the
Intelligent Message Filter (IMF) in Microsoft Exchange. The context of
the discussion was around the implementation of a SMTP gateway on the
ISA computer. At the time I noted that when using the SMTP gateway that
Exchange thought all mail originated at the gateway, because it couldn't
parse the headers and figure out the true (or untrue) sender address.
Well, in Exchange SP2 MSFT says:

The majority of Exchange 2003 Servers have been deployed behind the
perimeter and do not face the Internet directly.  This renders
Connection Filtering less useful as the feature relies on getting the
original sender's IP to run the DNS query on. With the release of SP2
this deficiency has been addressed by introducing a new headers parsing
algorithm for originating IP retrieval.  Now, Exchange 2003 Server SP2
with Connection Filter deployed can be positioned anywhere in the
organization and perform filtering as it would on the perimeter.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks encouraging.

Pete

On the desert in Arizona