Network Testing / Diagnosing (slightly OT)

  • From: "Anthony Michaud" <anthonym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:24:15 +1000

Hi all,

I've had a look at a clients network, and although it 'runs' its not
operating at the performance that it should.  Its a distributed network,
with fibre linking the three buildings together, with what appears to be
10mb hubs as the transports for the fibre.

I'm making recommendations to them, but I was wondering if anyone knows
of any quick to use/set-up (prefer w32) applications that will allow me
to generate network statistics?  I've found that basic w2k tools
(ipconfig/network monitor/net statistics) don't give stats on collisions
(at least not that I could find), and/or their effects on throughput.

Typically, I'd be after a toolkit that could be on a w2k / dual boot /
vmware machine, that will allow me to plug into the network, monitor for
5 mins -> a week, and allow me to generate stats on % throughput, %
utilisation, % retransmitted (error & collision etc) as well as any
other stats that would/could be relevant to making performance /
maintenance recommendations.

I know that there are a bunch 'o linux tools, but I've found that unless
you're a grep/perl wizz, they tend to be rather complicated to set-up
*effectively*.

Does anyone have anything in their toolkit that they'd want to recommend
/ share?

--
Anthony Michaud
Network Administrator

Blessed are those who have no expectations, for they will never be
disappointed. --Buddha