[isalist] Re: NTLMv2 Auth Listener

  • From: Jerry Young <jerrygyoungii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:41:27 -0500

If you only ever want to see NTLMv2 authentication traffic, you'll want to
make sure your policy setting for the LAN Manager authentication level is
set to "Send NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM & NTLM".  Otherwise, domain
controllers will still accept LM and NTLM authentication from the server;
the client itself (assuming it has the policy) should only use NTLMv2
authentication.

It gets murky for me when you're using a proxy since I'm not sure it
technically constitutes a "client" when it's passing credentials onward to
the domain controller so the "Send NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM & NTLM"
setting should remove any worry of that.

Of course, this same setting needs to be applied to all three computers
(client, proxy, and domain controller).

Here's a fairly verbose Knowledge Base article that goes into more depth.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659

--
Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II