RE: Messenger VIA ISA 2000

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:40:24 -0600

Hi Avi,

The authentication breaks with MSN messenger like with Hotmail. There
are several ways to solve the problem. One is to create an Access Rule
that allows All Users access to the HTTP and HTTPS protocols to the
followings locations:

Config.messenger.msn.com
Gateway.messenger.hotmail.com
Loginnet.passport.net
207.46.110.0/24 (Subnet)

Note that the last entry is a Subnet Network Object.

Put that rule above any authenticated access rules that apply to the
HTTP or HTTPS protocol  and away you go. :-)

Thanks for the question -- I wasn't going to put this in the book but
I'm writing up the complete details now and will be in chapter 7, along
with the complete answer and demo for blocking MSN Messenger without
blocking hotmail by using an HTTP Security Filter signature.

Thanks!

Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder
http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7