May ISA2000 be a DHCP client as well as a server

  • From: <PMerner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:24:21 -0500

Am running ISA 2000 standard edition as part of SBS 2000 on a w2k sp4
platform and have encountered a problem as I migrate from a Speakeasy ADSL
fixed IP connection to a DHCP dynamic IP configuration received through
TimeWarner/Earthlink from the supplied RCA cable modem. The cable modem has
model designation DCM425 and is actually manufactured by Thompson. It
appears to be functioning normally with all the expected green lights doing
what they are supposed to do. SBS2000 requires that this server be the
primary, and only, domain controller on the network and I am beginning to
suspect that the primary DC on a network may not also be a DHCP client.

I have no issues with either connection except that when being served by the
cable modem, the server box is unable to renew its DHCP license on
expiration. At that point the Internet connection is lost and can only be
recovered through a warm boot of the server. Server needs to be 24x7 so this
is a no-go. The internal and external NICs work normally with the noted
exceptions. Anybody have an idea what is going on?