RE: MS-Frag extension to L2TP/IPSec NAT-T

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:06:45 +0100

Hi John,

that was not the answer I was expecting ;-)

When you use PPTP with EAP/TLS or L2TP/IPSec you need to exchange
certificate chains. In most cases this inherently results in IP fragments
created at the VPN endpoints. This is a well-known issue. Moreover, the IETF
IPSec working group has refused to solve that fundamental IP fragment
problem when designing the new IPSec NAT-T.

On customer demand, Microsoft has implemented in the new L2TP/IPSec NAT-T
stacks an MS-Frag extension. When both endpoints supports the MS-Frag
extension, IP fragments will no longer occure because the fragmentation will
be done on a much higher level in the protocol stack. From what I heard,
Microsoft has designed the MS-Frag extension as an open protocol extension
and made it public available on MSDN. However, I can't find it anywhere.

For more info about MS-Frag, check out:
- http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2323.asp
- http://downloads.mymsevents.com/files/Events/30/3513/SEC406_Riley.ppt

Thanks,