MAPI trough ISA

  • From: VJudins@xxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:01:19 +0200

Hi folks.

I have one interesting problem. I administer hosted Exchange 2000
Enterprise server which sit behind firewall. Clients come from different
networks. Clients use Exchange with MS Outlook 2000 or MS Outlook XP as
"Microsoft Exchange server". At this case MAPI is in use, but MAPI works
with RPC that uses dynamic ports. Firewall is CheckPoint FW-1. In exchange
server i restrict port range (i allow 4 ports to be assigned for client
connections - MS KB article 270836) used by RPC and in FW i create rules
that allow access from clients to exchange on port 135 (RPC port mapper)
and allowed 4 ports. It's work fine (approx 2 years). In this situation no
problem open same ports on client firewall. But at this moment i need
change my firewall to ISA server...

ISA server have great application filter called "Exchange RPC Server". It
work fine, but only if client not have own firewall. If client have own
firewall that is ISA - problem can be resolved (this solution described in
many articles in Microsoft, ISAserver.org and other sites). But problem
begin if client have any other firewall (CheckPoint, iptables or others...)
and access from client to internet is restricted by ports. Client firewall
administrators refuse dynamic port opening by security reasons. I can't
find solution for restricting port allocations in ISA server "Exchange RPC
Server" filter.

Best regards,
Viktors Judins
Digital Economy Advancement Center