RE: Logging Inbound Web Requests OT: U.S. Dept of Justice (DOJ) v. Google

  • From: "Crockett, Gregory" <Gregory.Crockett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:34:45 -0600

Speaking of web logs.

What can DOJ get from Google?  Correct me if I am wrong:  The logs will
reveal an IP address of the requester, browser type, query, and a bunch
of other info that will not identify the requester.  Does DOJ believe
the IP address will lead them to a user name or resident?  Once they
have the files (IP address), must they not knock on the doors of the
ISPs to assist in identifying the holder of the IP address at the time
of the query?  My ISP

On the other hand, are they looking at how well web filters are working?
I heard this on NPR this AM.  How will this help unless they know the
requester was a minor?  It all seems to be one big circle.

I was just wondering.

TIA

greg