[isalist] Isa2004 stops publishing SMTP after 2 to 3 days but everyting else continues to work fine.

  • From: "Glenn Johnston" <ecll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 04:18:14 -0500

Hi,

One of my client has 3 servers 1 Dual Nic'ed ISA2004 W3K, , and 2 others an W3K
runing DNS WIN DHCP Printer sharing active directory and SQL2005, The third
runs Active directory and Exchange. All are fully patched and upto date on
service packs and patches.

Setup was installed 15 months ago and has been basically running like a well
oiled machine since install, with nothing more serious thatn the IADSL intenet
router locking up and need to be reset or a cleaning tape put through the tape
drive.

Then about 3 weeks ago, after about 2 to 3 days after a reboot, SMTP ceases to
respond to requests from the internet. when SMTP stops, everything else is
still working the WEB site, POP3, OWA, all are still worming just fine. The
exchange server still responses with the correct banner when you use

telnet <ip of the exchange server> 25

From a PC on the internal LAN but when you use telnet from external to the
internet IP telnet gives a blank screen, but nothing else. And port 25 is not
blocked on the ISP I'm using.

There is nothing in the server event logs, and the monitoring page of ISA shows
all services are still running, and I can see no difference between the working
SMTP, and the not working SMTP.

Any suggestions ?