Re: Internet Access through RAS or VPN

  • From: Joe Pochedley <JoePochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:55:32 -0500

Inline means that the responses are imbedded within the quoted text of the
original message...  I have again attached the original set of messages to
the bottom of this mail, if you look closely in that mail, you will see
lines that begin with *'s...  These are Jim's comments and questions to
you.....

Regarding the VPN clients...  If you have the clients go through their VPN
DUN connectiods and uncheck the box labeled "Use Default gateway on remote
network" then the users will pass all internet traffic out to the internet
and not through the VPN...  This keeps them from using double bandwidth on
your Internet connection for their web surfing while connected to the VPN...
Of course, you can't log and control their web surfing this way though...
If you want to be able to log and control their surfing through the VPN and
ISA, then you will need to fill in the Proxy server settings on Internet
Explorer (or Netscape, whatever)...  In any case, you will need to do this
for your dial-in RAS clients if you want them to get out to the Internet
through your ISA server's connection...  Win98 works just fine when
requiring authentication with the Proxy settings filled in...   Remember
that the authentication will be in the form of Domain\Username (for NT4
style domains) or Username@xxxxxxxxxx (for Win2K domains)....

Not to be sarcastic, but sounds like a pretty poor setup if you can't
contact the remote users via email, corporate web page, etc with a set of
instructions that will help them and make their connection more usable /
user friendly?

HTH

JoeP