RE: Internal DNS best practices

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:02:41 -0500

Hi Danny,

What I would do it put a caching only DNS server on the ISA firewall and
allow it to perform recursion. Then use that as a forwarder for the
internal DNS servers. If you don't want to do that, then commission a
DNS server that is not your Active Directory DNS server (dedicated, that
is) and use that as a forwarder.

Then create Access Rules allowing the required DNS traffic from the
specific hosts requiring that access.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.