Re: Info from SANS about potential ISA issue

  • From: Thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:05:32 -0800

At 05:05 PM 11/8/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>http://www.ISAserver.org
>
>*** {01.45.017} Win - MS ISA server fragmented UDP DoS
>
>An advisory was released indicating that Microsoft ISA server is
>vulnerable to a denial of service attack whereby a remote attacker sends
>many fragmented UDP packets, which causes abnormally high CPU utilization.
>
>This vulnerability has not been confirmed.
>
>Source: VulnWatch
><http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vulnwatch/2001-q4/0032.html>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vulnwatch/2001-q4/0032.html

I have been playing with this since last week.  It is just a UPD frag
flood.  I compiled the exploit code on my Linux box and ran it against the
internal NIC of my ISA Server.  Initially, I thought it did indeed nail the
CPU at 100%, but like a moron, I did not realize that I had simply flooded
my link... Doing logs of CPU utilization and hammering on it for sustained
periods of time only slightly raised the CPU utilization on my box, both
against the internal card and the external card.   I tried in many
different configurations, with and without IP fragments filters, and was
never really able to do anything.

Here is MS's response (the original post can be found in the Bugtraq archives):

hth