RE: ISA-/DNS Query-Please Advice

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:32:47 -0500

What is "WinProxy"?

http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7 <http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7>
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

________________________________

        From: hodakara kara [mailto:hatem20102011@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:59 AM
        To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
        Subject: [isalist] ISA-/DNS Query-Please Advice

        http://www.ISAserver.org
        Dear all,

        My network consist of the follwoing enviroment - with WinProxy
as Firewall- :-

         1. Domain Controller,with DNS on it ,, with the following
Settings  on the IP :-
          IP:- 90.0.0.10
          SM:  255.255.255.0
          GW:  90.0.0.20 --------------------------> this is the
internal IP of WinProxy Interface.
          DNS: 90.0.0.10 --------------------------> it register it self
in the current DNS - internal DNS-

        2. 30 users, Windows XP-Pro, SP2 on it and they configured to
register there self in the DNS which is ( 90.0.0.10 ), and GW which is (
90.0.0.20), i mean all the users have this DNS ( 90.0.0.10), and have
this Default Gateway ( 90.0.0.20).

         3. The internal DNS server configured to forward all the quires
to the internal IP-Address of WinProxy which is ( 90.0.0.20), inorder to
be able to browse internet names and able to reslove the external
domains as well.

        4. One Firewall which is WinProxy, not under our doamin, which
have 2 NIC with the following informations:-

        First Nic on WinProxy:-
         ===================
          IP     :   90.0.0.20
          SM   :   255.255.255.0
          GW  :         N/A
          DNS :          N/A

        Second Nic on WinProxy which is connected to Router, and then
the router connect to VSAT:-
        ================================
          IP     :   213.255.237.106
          SM   :   255.255.255.248
          GW  :   213.255.237.105
          DNS :   213.255.237.8
                      213.255.237.9

        and we are behind firewall, even we configure the Outlook to use
the IP- Address of the internal WinProxy interface as POP3 & SMTP.

        and on the WinProxy, we configured the SMTP& POP3 with the real
IP-Address.

        Now we are going to install ISA server 2000.

        i want to know if this steps which i am going to do is correct
or not .

        1. i will bring new server for ISA, with 2 Nic.
        2. install Win Server on it .
        3. Give the internal interface of the ISA this IP ( 90.0.0.10),
and this DNS ( 90.0.0.10), without Gateway on it .
        4.  install DNS server on ISA.
        5.Configure the DNS to lisiten only on the Internal Interface -
not external.
        6.Create the Forward lookup Zone and Reverse Lookup Zone.
        7.Make the Local DNS forward the query to the external DNS of
the ISP.

        8. install the domain controller on the other machine and let it
to register it self on the Internal IP of ISA. and put the gateway also
for that .

        9. let all the user register them self in the the current DNS.
        10. Configure the users normally.
        11. make sure that the server & the Clients able to browse and
see the internt.

        second Part , install the DNS server on the ISA server it self
and we will start working on it .

        So my question is :-
        1. is there any thing wrong in this configuration, from
installing DNS server on the ISA server and let all the users register
them self in the DNS which is located on the ISA, and configured the ISA
server to forward the quires to the external DNS of the ISP ? if there
is any Problem, do you receommend any other solution . ?

        2. After i install on each client the Firewall Client software
which is come from ISA server , is there any traffic i should allow for
the inbound / outbound for the DNS to go from ISA server to the external
DNS server of the ISP, so is there any Protocol Rule or Packet filter
should i do it , in order to let the traffic go out from my ISA server
to the external DNS, and to inter from the external DNS to my ISA server
?

        Please Help in this situation  , as soon as possible .

        --
        thanks