ISA2004 Content Blocking and Secure Websites

  • From: kel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:14:19 -0700

Hi everyone,

After our installation of ISA2004, we have created rules to lock down
Internet access to restrict streaming media, etc, by way of a custom
content filter.

We have found that some secure websites are returning blank webpages after
a user attempts to login. We applied the fix per the 'Secure Websites'
tutorial, setting our MTU at 1400. This did not resolve the issue, and in
fact some external email senders who were using non-Microsoft clients (eg
GroupWise) started receiving 'recipient does not exist' errors. We have
since rolled back the MTU fix, but we are back to square one where a small
number of secure websites are returning a black webpage.

Interestingly, when we disable the content blocking rule, users can access
those problem secure websites. We tried to find the 'problem content' by
removing individual content items from the blocked list, but found that
users could only access the problem secure websites after all of the
content items were removed from the blocked list.

We would prefer not to remove the content blocking rule from the firewall
policy. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
KL