ISA and Exchange

  • From: "Jose Silva" <dobem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:44:36 +0100

Hi. Im new here and a bring a troubling situation on which id love to hear
your remarks.

The scenario is this. I have 2 W2k Servers. SRV1 is the file server, DC,
DNS, DHCP. SRV2 will be ISA and Exchange. I dont want Exchange to be vying
for power with all the other stuff on SRV1 but this will force me to have
SRV2 inside the domain, and so ISA will be inside the domain. I know, not
great for security! My internet access is by an ADSL router which will be in
a crossover connection with one nic on SRV2 (ISA). Concurrent users are
currently 50!

So with this info, what problems do u expect ill find with Exchange and ISA
on the same machine?
Also, what security issues should i be most worried for having the ISA
inside the domain? I know its dangerous if its compromised, but how can i
minimize it?

Last, but not least, i might have to create an intranet/extranet sooner than
i want (because i cant ask for more servers). So where should i put it? On
ISA/Exchange or on the DC? Repercussions?

As you might have guessed, budget is a serious constraint so please avoid
suggestions to buy more servers :) Thx!

I know these questions range several other topics outside ISA but i need
mainly the focus on security and ISA, and you're the experts on these.
Should i rethink this any other way?

Regards,
Jose Silva

Vizzavi Mail powered by Vodafone - http://www.vizzavi.pt