How to be compliant on the Internet

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:36:35 -0700

Hi ISAList.

One of the things that I encounter daily is the fact that with the ease with
which folks can set up their own domains complete with mail, web, FTP, etc.
services, also comes the great sloppiness found in those domains.
I'm not saying that everyone has to meet all the "rules of the road"
(although it would be very nice), but I am suggesting that if you want to
"play in the big kids' sandbox", you should be aware of the rule laid down
by the older kids (props to John Postel, et al).

One such place to gather that information.is http://www.rfc-ignorant.org.
It addresses some of this issue by listing the RFC's that govern what is
expected of someone who establishes a "presence" on the Internet.  Many of
these are rules for "playing nice with the other kids" that aren't clearly
spelled out to those who don't know what an RFC is, or why it exists.

HTH,

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver