How to access mspclient share in a workgroup environment and why is msiexec's illegal operation?

  • From: "desr" <isainfonsr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:16:16 -0600

I have got two problems regarding ISA server installation and running. Is
there anyone kind enough to help me out with these problems?
1. I installed Windows 2000 server and did not join a domain but same
workgroup as present on my network. Then I installed service pack 1 and
ISA server.I went to my Windows 98 machines to install mspclient, open
Network Neighborhood and double click the Win2k server name. It asked me
to supply a password to access the resource on the server, I supplied the
one I logged on with to the Win2k server but it said the password is
wrong. The share had no password setting on the server. I found no way to
access the share to install mspclient. How can I access shares on  Win2k
server in workgroup environment?
2. I worked around the above problem by installing AD on  Win2k server and
creating account for users and machines. This time I was able to access
the share but when I started installing mspclient I got illegal operation
message - saying that msiexec performed an illegal operation. It happened
on all my 10 Windows 98 machines. What is the reason and solution of it?
Thank You