RE: How Good Is the Windows Server 2003 Basic Firewall?

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:24:26 -0500

Hi David,

It is an interesting question. I've never used the built in Windows
Server 2003 firewall because I've always run ISA Server on edge Windows
Server 2003 machines. From what I've heard, its pretty limited and
doesn't even allow you to publish services on the internal network. What
means its guys a powerful feature included with the Windows Server 2003
RRAS NAT. Even the lowly Windows XP/98 ICS allows you to do this when
ICF is enabled. However, I haven't tested this myself, so its hearsay
right now.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder