[isalist] HTTP Filtering in ISA Server 2004

  • From: "Ara Avvali" <Ara.Avvali@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:12:42 -0800

Hello everyone,

It has been quite recently so I have a question! I am following this
article.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/isa/2004/plan/httpfiltering.mspx#EXF
There is a check box under general tab which says "Block responses
containing Windows executable content" saying responses starting MZ will
be blocked. I can understand the MZ concept. If I turn it on it blocks
*.exe files which is good. But it is also recommending going to
extensions tab and adding *.exe to it.
Now the question is if I add *.exe to the extensions tab some IIS site
won't work and get blocked. Usually sites that have something like
dealer_locator.exe at end. But if I get rid the extensions tab and only
check the box under general tab, site works fine and no one can download
an exe file manually.
So what is the real difference between these 2 options and what other
extensions the general tab check box covers?
Thanks