Fwd: [iis6] Public DNS Server: Linux, Sun, or Windows???

  • From: MarvinC <marvinc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NTSYS Admin Issues <ntsysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ISA Admin <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:10:02 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: MarvinC <marvinc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Aug 31, 2005 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [iis6] Public DNS Server: Linux, Sun, or Windows???
To: iis6 <iis6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Is anyone hosting websites on both windows and *nix servers or multiple
platforms? We're talking IIS & Apache etc. I think I've seen where you can
do both behind ISA2K4 but I'm not sure. What about mail services for both
exchange and some other smtp mail server like sendmail, postmail, etc? These
would be on different servers. From what I can tell their plan would be to
offer a wide range of hosting services and not be stuck with one platform.
If a user wants OWA mail services they'd charge a higher price than for a
typical *nix mail service which is usally free. This would include having
something like a blackberry server to allow for mail redirection for their
business clients. I'm sure CALs come in to play but I'll hold off on asking
about that until I need to.
Also what type of bandwidth are you all using? They'd have a business DSL
account that offers something like 386 x 386. It's at this point that I'd
suggest W2K3 server NLB service for the web and possibly DNS servers. I know
mysql has clustering capabilities but I'm not sure about Apache and I guess
the *nix DNS servers are stand-alone servers with a static public IP
assigned to it.
Be great if there was something written that discusses this and the options
for multiple platforms.
 Thanks