Firewall client versus Proxy???

  • From: "Peter Forster" <pforster@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:09:52 -0800

Hello all, can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? Recently the
clients behind our ISA firewall were set up to use the FW client on each
of their respective workstations. However, due to some problems with
another Telnet application I have removed the firewall client. At this
stage I would suspect that outside email, (where the local email client
goes to an ISP mail server to retrieve POP mail) would not work. But it
does still work using only the web proxy client. The email still goes
out and comes back no problem. Am I missing something that the web proxy
is supposed to do this? I had always thought that only the firewall
client would allow winsock apps to go through the ISA server. Any ideas?

Thanks Peter