External SMTP mail not coming in...

  • From: "Jacques" <jacques@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 05:30:26 -0700

Since installing our new network infrastructure, we use ISA server with
exchange running on its own server. We used smtp vs on the ISA server as
recommended in the book (the same one as on this site). We installed
everything according to the book. External emails and then got delivered.
But this only happens for some random time and then stops. We also use the
VPN option to connect a remote option, which by the way works 100%. Now
the only way we could get external mail to come in again was to restart
the ISA server. Mail then got delivered for some time (normally about 1-2
hours) then stoped. We then removed the local smtp vs on the ISA server.
Thus no content checking is taking place (we use an external lab to check
content and viruses anyway) and smtp packets get forwarded straight to the
exchange server. Now it has been working for 2 days, fingers crossed!!!
Any ideas why this happend?