External Access to SMTP

  • From: "Bryan J. Schramm" <bschramm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:21:40 -0400

All,

     I have an ISA server and Exchange server on two separate systems.  I allow
SMTP and POP3 access via publishing in ISA server.  The problem I have is,
using my external domain name or IP address, users are not able to send e-mail
out to other domains, even if SMTP authentication it set-up on the client.
They receive a relay error.  When on the network, there are no problems though.
 Here is my set-up:

External Domain Name and IP Address Assigned to my Router
192.168.1.x Network Assigned to External ISA Interface
192.168.3.x Network Assigned to Internal ISA Interface, Internal Network, &
Exchange Server

The users connect with Outlook Express from their internet connection and do
not VPN into my network.  I would like them to be able to send/receive email
using POP3 and SMTP with my Exchange server.  Right now, POP3 is the only thing
that will work.  They get the relay not allowed error when trying to send email.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bryan