RE: Exchange 2000 Server Behind ISA Server Problem

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:23:04 -0800

> I have downloaded the documents on how to configure the SMTP Sever but I
> have no much time to read the whole documant.

Bad statement. Operating a e-mail server on the Internet requires time and
knowledge. There are a number of things that must all be configured
correctly for e-mail to flow properly. If you do not want to take the time
to read...

> I am trying to connect the ISA Server's Ext NIC directly to the router.
> Doing this is fine for Internet Browsing. The only problem is, when I got
> my
> Email Server configuration set to use the ISA Server as the gateway, I am
> not able to sent and receive emails. Seems that the emails are queueing at
> our ISP.

Why are the e-mails staking up? Can you ask your ISP for a log snippet to
see what the error is? Can it not connect? Can it not find?

Have you tried telenetting from the Exchange server going out on port 25?

Have you tried telenetting from the Internet to the server IP address on
port 25?

Do you have a Static Public IP, or Dynamic?

How are you retrieving e-mail from your ISP?

If e-mail is not going out, what messages or errors are you getting?

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You