Exchange 2000 DNS

  • From: Steven Fitzgerald <Steven.Fitzgerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:24:21 -0000

Hi,

I wonder if someone can give me an answer to the following questions re. The
definitive DNS setup for Exchange 2k behind ISA.

At the moment the DNS settings I have are:

ISASERVER

External NIC:

DNS IP addresses of ISP

Internal NIC:

DNS IP addresses of local DNS servers

DNS configuration

Listening on Internal NIC

Forwarding to DNS of ISP

EXCHANGESERVER

Single NIC on internal network

DNS IP of local DNS servers and ISASERVER

DNS configuration

Forwarding to ISASERVER

I've got a protocol rule set up on the ISA server to allow DNS query and
Zone transfer to the ISA server, but it only works if I allow access to the
Exchange server in there too, and I believe that's not very secure.

From what I've read, this configuration should work, the Exchange server is
forwarding DNS requests to the ISA server, which should look the request up
and return it.

Any ideas what I should do now?

Many thanks.