[isalist] Re: Error with ISA services stopping

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:25:09 -0800

Do you also see NIC disconnect/reconnect (or failure/recovery) events in the
system log?
We've seen some cases where this sort of thing happens and the NIC PnP events
aren't getting sent to ISA.
In this case, ISA can't bind during the failure event because there's no IP
address and it can't recover because it never gets the recovery event.
The DisableDHCPMediaSense method in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924 is a
workaround that's worked for several customers.

On a side note, if you also have NIC disconnect/failure eventsd, you may need
to do some more troubleshooting.
Have you updated the NIC drivers (most common cause is bad drivers or $5 NICs)?
Have you tried replacing the NIC (hardware failures often exhibit like this)?
Have you tried replacing the network cable between ISA and the switch (yes;
wires do fail)?

Jim