Re: Dual Internet Connection

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:06:16 -0700

Inline...

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Highton Jr." <RussH@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 6:48 AM
Subject: [isalist] Dual Internet Connection

http://www.ISAserver.org

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm looking into installing a
redundant internet connection.

My first, and primary connection, is a DSL.

I want to install a Cable connection in addition to that.

Questions:

- Can I have my ISA Server external interface with 2 gateways?

* ISA can only have one external interface; multiple "gateway" functionality
is totally dependent on the hardware that ISA faces; most are not set up to
allow "dead gateway detection", which is all multiple gateways is for.  The
short answer; no gain.

- I have a Cisco router that's not doing anything, so I can put the
cable connection in the same IP subnet if needed.

* Again, no real gain.  You're trying to load-balance using the "add another
pipe to share the water pressure" theory and that's not how TCP/IP works.
* Better that you install another ISA (in an array, ideally) and use the
client settings to share the array.  Bear in mind that secureNAT clients
won't get any benefit from this arrangement.

Thanks for the info.

Russ Highton Jr.
Systems Engineer
Broden, Inc.